Howard Bryant is a senior writer for ESPN.com and ESPN The Magazine and appears regularly on ESPN programming, including SportsCenter and Outside the Lines, as well as a guest on several ESPN radio affiliates from KNBR in San Francisco to TSN 105 in Toronto. He has been the sports correspondent for National Public Radio's Weekend Edition Saturday since 2006. A two-time winner of the Casey Award for Best Baseball Book of the Year from Spitball magazine, he is the author of The Last Hero: A Life of Henry Aaron (Knopf), Juicing the Game: Drugs, Power the Fight for the Soul of Major League Baseball (Viking), Shut Out: A Story of Race and Baseball in Boston (Routledge/Beacon), and the sports Legends series for middle-grade readers and picture book Sisters and Champions: The True Story of Venus and Serena Williams for younger readers (Philomel/Penguin). He was the guest editor of the 2017 edition of The Best American Sports Writing and is the author most recently of The Heritage: Black Athletes, a Divided America, and the Politics of Patriotism (Beacon).
Bryant’s columns at ESPN The Magazine were nominated for the National Magazine Award for commentary in both 2016 and 2018. In 2011, he was awarded the Online News Association’s Best Commentary Award. In 2015, he was awarded the New York Press Club award for Best Commentary and in 2016 was awarded the National Association of Black Journalists Salute to Excellence Award for Commentary. A native of Boston, he has held previous posts at the Oakland Tribune, San Jose Mercury News, Boston Herald and the Washington Post.
* Howard Bryant is the first writer to have twice been awarded the Casey Award for Best Baseball Book of the Year
* Bryant’s last biography, The Last Hero: A Life of Henry Aaron was chosen as “One of the Ten Best Books of the Year” by Dwight Garner at the New York Times
* Bryant’s columns for ESPN were nominated for the National Magazine Award for commentary in 2016, the first time the magazine was nominated in that category, and again in 2018
* Bryant was the guest editor for the 2017 edition of The Best American Sports Writing
* Bryant has been the sports correspondent for NPR Weekend Edition since 2006
* Bryant was a prominent voice in Ken Burns’ documentary series, “Baseball: The 10th Inning” and “Jackie Robinson,” by Sarah Burns and David McMahon.